Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What Family Can Teach You

After our ten-day trip, we are finally back home.  Let me tell you, it was so nice to sleep in our own bed without any interruption....especially since we got in at 3 a.m.

The first night of our trip, we stopped in Reno to sleep and stay with my grandparents.  Their little miniature poodle kept trying to mount Steinway, but he would have none of it!  Go Steinway!  The next day we took him to stay at my other grandma's house (Granny) because she is a doglover and basically has doggie heaven in her backyard.  Then we headed off to Lake Shasta in California to join up with Ephraim's family.

Seventeen people (three one-year-olds included)...just brothers, sisters, their families, and their mom.  It was a pretty crazy adventure.  We rented two vacation homes, both with pools, but mostly stayed at one (which had the three families with children).  Each family made one breakfast and one dinner, except those who had to double up.

Saturday night, we hung out at the house.  Sunday, we went on a hike to a waterfall where four of the men jumped in and almost froze their buns off....followed by lots of swimming.  Monday, the women went on a hike to Castle Craggs....so tiring!  Tuesday, we went to the lake!  Boating, tubing, wave-running, swimming, and WAKE-BOARDING! 

Holy cow!  That is hard!  I've never done it before, but I got up on my first try...and then fell down two seconds later....literally.  That happened about 17 times, but then I finally did it!  It was awesome!  I felt accomplished.  I set out to do something, and I did it.  It took awhile, but I made it happen.  I did that two times, and then I was too sore to do it anymore.  Falling hurts! 

On Wednesday, the men went on the hike to Castle Craggs (we figured it'd be better to not take the kids....we were right).  Then Ephraim took some family pictures of two of the families.  The more kids you have, the harder it is to get everyone to cooperate.  Thursday, we went to Waterworks park in Redding.  That was fun.  But I think the best part was going with the kids and listening to them say this was the best day of their life....even better than their birthday!!  That's pretty major.  On Friday, we stayed around the cabin...everyone was so tired!  Then, Raquel (one of Ephraim's sisters) and I got a surprise birthday cake!  (Hers just past and mine is coming up.)  It was the best chocolate cake I ever had....homemade by his mother.  My mouth is watering just thinking of it!

The next morning it was time to head out.  We went straight to Granny's house to see Steinway, who was so excited to see us!  She and my two uncles just loved him....and how could they not?  He is the best dog ever.  We had a BBQ, and I got some cool birthday presents.  Then we left Steinway there and went to stay at Grandma and Grandpa's house....they were happy they didn't have to worry about their little gay poodle chasing after our dog.  The next day, we had lunch with my cousin, Sara.  It was a good lunch...we talked for four hours.  We had to leave the restaurant so the server could get more tables.  Then dinner at a steakhouse with my grandparents and great-grandpa for my birthday.  It was AMAZING!  We played lots of Crazy Eights and Dominos and Sorry with Great-Grandpa, who is 91, has dementia, and lives with my grandparents.

Then we went to their wedding store, where I bought lots of stuff for some parties coming up.  We're having a friend's Rexburg open house here in a couple weeks, then a bridal shower in October, and a baby shower probably in October, also.  I got a great deal!  Then we had lunch with my cousin, Stevie.  Good to see him.  Then we picked up Steinway and drove home.

And here we are!  This is more detailed blog than I had planned, but oh well.

I think the best part of this trip was that I got to know members of my family better.  I talked with Ephraim's brothers and sisters, with my cousins, with grandparents.  It was really neat to see where certain traits come from and the effects that we all have on each other.  I think I got to know my husband better, as well as myself.  I've found people that I can trust and rely on that I never knew I could before.  And to be honest, I found that some people I can't really rely on no matter how much I love them.  I've found qualities in each person that I admire and qualities that I don't admire.  I think it's good to pick those things out, so we know what we're working toward and can figure out how to get there.  My family is pretty crazy, but I feel blessed to have them....all of them, whether new or old.  I hope they know that.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment