Saturday, June 6, 2015

Things I've Learned from Disney Princesses

Lately I've been hearing the complaint that Disney Princesses aren't good role models.  People complain that they teach you to wait around for your handsome prince, that stepmothers are evil, that being beautiful is most important.  I guess I can see why someone would say those things, but I think they're missing the bigger picture.  I grew up loving and adoring the princesses.  I knew all their songs.  I had their sheets, pajamas, and clothes.  They autographed my Disneyland book.  I wanted to be one.  I think it is important to be fair to these fictional but admired women.  And so, here are the valuable lessons I have learned from Disney Princesses.

1. Snow White: When someone is mistreating you, you don't have to stick around for it.  Also, when you have work to do, whistle...make it fun!  It gets done quicker and easier.

2. Cinderella: Dreams DO come true.  Sometimes people are mean to you but in the end...KARMA.  Good wins.

3. Aurora: We don't always know how special or important we are.  (I mean, she was a princess and didn't even know it!)

4. Ariel: Just because you're born a mermaid doesn't mean you have to stay a mermaid.  If you're determined, you can become a human!  Basically, if you don't have what you want, figure out how to get what you want.  Also, independence breeds conflict.

5. Belle: Always look for the good in others.  Reading is fun.  It's ok to be different.

6. Jasmine: Love is more important than riches or prestige.  What's inside is more important than what's outside.

7. Pocahontas: Color doesn't matter.  The Earth is special and we should be kind to it.

8. Mulan: Girls/Women can do anything they put their mind to.  We are just as good as men.

9. Tiana: Again, we can do anything we put our minds to!  When we focus on our own lives and goals, everything else falls into place.

10. Rapunzel: Trust your intuition.  Be nice.  Life is an adventure.

11. Merida: You don't have to marry a man just because everyone expects you to.  You don't need a man to make you complete.

12. Elsa: Be you.  Fear works against you.

13. Anna: Princesses don't wake up looking perfect either.  Sometimes they're clumsy and say the wrong thing.  Be optimistic.

So thank you, Disney, for helping me to become a woman that I like, that I would want to be friends with. I'm grateful for these role models and the lessons they have taught me.


No comments:

Post a Comment